Derek Menary – D.W.Menary was born in Belfast in 1943. He studied initially under G.G. McCann, a Northern Irish sculptor, followed by a foundation course at Belfast College of Art, and then a Studentship with Belfast Arts Theatre.
From 1964-69, the artist worked in the professional theatre – Belfast, Dublin, Canterbury and London. In 1968 he joined BBC Television Drama Serials, London. He left theatre / television in 1970 and enrolled as a student on a visual art/multi-media course at Dartington College of Arts, Devon – followed by a Professional Course in Education.
From 1974 to 1990 he worked as a teacher/lecturer/courses coordinator/researcher as well as exhibiting.
From 1990 he has worked exclusively as a visual artist.
- London Contemporary Art Fairs 1990-96
- Art Europa, Geneva
- Miami Art Fair, Florida
- The Royal Academy / Royal West of England Academy / Royal Ulster Academy
Collections / Purchases include:
- The Royal Bank of Scotland / First Trust Bank Ireland
- Office of Public Works, Dublin
- Arts Council of Ireland / Arts Council of Northern Ireland
- Virgin Music
- Tresco Estate
- Private collections in UK / USA / Europe / Australia / Ireland